Thursday, March 28, 2013

Adios



This is my final post before completing my Peace Corps service and returning to the states in May. I have accomplished what I set out to do: to make a difference, however small, toward creating a better world. I have come to love the people here and feel incredibly blessed to have been given the neighbors, co-workers and friends I acquired along the way. Some will remain lifelong amigos. 

My center has implemented many of my recommendations for improving communication, and the Peace Corps Mexico office shared my work with Washington, D.C. as a success story. I painted wildflowers for a botanical garden to help them raise money. And I taught dozens of people English. One of my students just won a competition in Austin, TX for which I helped her prepare, and another student did well enough on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) to be admitted to a PhD program. Oh yes, and I learned Spanish! I won't be joining a Spanish debate team any time soon, but I can communicate.

Just as important are the intangible successes. There was the neighbor who saw me hug my sons during a visit and was surprised that American families are affectionate.  And the children who stared at me in wide-eyed wonder, mouths agape at my fractured Spanish and alien face, who might remember the kind, smiling stranger from another place and find compassion in their hearts when they meet others like me some day.

I traveled throughout much of Mexico and visited beautiful cities and tiny pueblos, explored archeological sites, enjoyed beautiful beaches and marveled at the varied terrain, cuisine, art, history, culture and people. This truly is a magnificent country. 

I am packing up two years of souvenirs, but the most precious things I will bring home are the memories. This has been a life-changing experience and a true gift.  

Thank you for reading my blog. Safe travels, and may you walk in peace.
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment