Friday, June 24, 2011

"Normal"

Hola everyone:

I hope you're enjoying summer. I'm loving the weather here.

Life is becoming more "normal," and I'm falling into a regular routine. I put "normal" in quotes because I often feel like I'm living in a parallel universe. Much is similar to life in the U.S., but something is always just a bit off center, like seeing cars pass on the highway, followed by a donkey cart, or looking down a city street and seeing a man herding goats, then there's the public toilets with no seats (and I was worried about squat toilets in Morocco), display cases filled with pig-sized chunks of chicharron in the deli section, a Sam's Club with a volcano looming in the distance, soldiers with rifles at a shopping mall, and on and on.

The juxtaposition of the research center where I work against the little town is perhaps the most striking. I sit in an office all day using modern technology, surrounded by brilliant scientists conducting world-recognized research, then step out of the campus gate and into a third-world country. I have a new theory about the church bells and fireworks: they're to maintain the town's identity and not be overshadowed by the center. The bells say: "We're still here -- do you hear us? We're loud, we're strong, and we won't forget who we are."

I'm making a real contribution at work and feeling very good about what I have to offer. I have been editing English web pages and other documents, and just submitted a proposal for a web content management database.

The most surprising development is being asked to work with a group of women to start a local recycling program. Another volunteer remembered reading about my recycling past in my resume and asked me to become involved. The goal is to empower women by helping them start their own recycling businesses. Someone mentioned that the new governor has made recycling a goal. I suggested we contact his office and ask for his support in making the town a model for his recycling program. We're going to try to meet with the Secretary of the Environment to talk about it. I didn't think I'd be revisiting that part of my life again, but I'm glad I can apply my experience.

I posted some new photos on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/20264995@N07/?saved=1. I took these during my trip to Tlatlauquitepec last week to help at another science fair. The pueblo is in the mountains northeast of Puebla. It's a gorgeous place, but I still don't know how the science trailer made it through the narrow roads and tight turns. I tried to capture the enchantment of the children who were engaged in making the models of Saturn, Mars and 20-sided models of the universe. Their faces reflect the openness and generosity of the people in Mexico.

I also posted a photo of my first Mexican painting. It is of the entrance gate to Zapopan, in Guadalajara.

I have also experienced what it is like to be "different." I can recognize children who have little, if any, contact with gringos. They stare unabashedly at me as if I'm from another planet, especially when I talk, and smile with wonder at my strange speech. I'm hoping those children will grow up with a positive memory implanted in their brains.

Speaking of speech: I am now at the "Intermediate" level in Spanish. I can carry on a conversation (albeit limited) and usually get my point across. But once in a while I run into someone who doesn't have a clue what I'm saying. It's probably a combination of my accent and pronunciation (could it be I am not using the right words?!). An unexpected side effect of learning another language is my memory seems to have improved.

I'm hoping to have a new house by next week. When that happens there will be another flurry of activity as I shop for furnishings and supplies and move in. I'm looking for a place with a patio so I can fill it with plants and flowers and create an outdoor room to make the most of my time in Mexico.

More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Donna! Your posts are AMAZING! I so admire your courageousness (is that a word?! and if not, it is all yours). I look forward to reading more. Take care and send some sunshine north please. Love, Vicki

    ReplyDelete